More places to find even more information.
Since 1998, PIHRC has produced and distributed a wide variety of materials about careers in the industry, labour market research and so much more.
Studies and Publications
Research documents about human resources requirements, post-secondary training, and other issues relating to the oil & gas industry can be found here.
- Update of The Strategic Human Resources Study of the Upstream Petroleum Industry: The Decade Ahead (2004) – an update to the original publication (below), containing specific references to Canada’s east coast offshore industry.
- The Strategic Human Resources Study of the Upstream Petroleum Industry: The Decade Ahead
- Labour Market Assessment of the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry Supply and Service Sector in Newfoundland & Labrador (2003) – a labour market research study and accompanying report developed through PIHRC to examine career options in the provincial oil and gas sector. The publication includes position descriptions and a summary of “difficult to recruit” positions.
- Provincial Education and Training Capabilities Study (2001 – updated in 2005) – a detailed inventory of education and training programs in the provincial public and private post-secondary education system which can prepare students for entry-level employment opportunities in the petroleum industry.
- Skills Gap Analysis (2001) – an analysis to determine what, if any, gaps existed for specific skills in the petroleum industry. The study showed no significant gaps existed for most positions, however issues were identified concerning “related work experience” and the recruitment of skilled workers.
- Provincial Labour Supply Working Paper (2000) – lists information on qualifications, certifications, experience, and required competencies.
- Labour Demand Study (1999) – identified future human resource demands and training requirements for approximately 50 industry occupations in Atlantic Canada.
Other useful websites.
There are hundreds of websites that offer information on the oil and gas industry. Here are a few we consider to be the most relevant to those interested in careers in the oil & gas industry.
Oil & Gas Industry – General Information:
- Newfoundland & Labrador Oil & Gas Industries Association (NOIA)
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP)
- Canada–NL Offshore Petroleum Board (C-NLOPB)
- Department of Natural Resources
- Canadian Centre for Energy
- Petroleum Human Resources Council of Canada
Oil & Gas Industry – Operators active in NL:
Oil & Gas Industry – Current and Upcoming NL Projects:
Career Information – General:
- LMIworks – labour market and career information for Newfoundland & Labrador
- Provincial Post-Secondary Offerings List (PPSOL)
Career Information – Oil & Gas Industry:
- Suncor Careers
- Husky Energy Careers
- ExxonMobil Careers
- Chevron Canada Careers
- Statoil Careers
- Hebron Project
- Petroleum Industry Human Resources Council of Canada Careers site
Women in Oil & Gas
- Women in Science and Engineering
- Canadian Coalition of Women in Engineering, Science, Trades and Technology
- Women in Resource Development Corporation
NL Post-Secondary Educational Institutions
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Marine Institute of Memorial University
- College of the North Atlantic
- Private Training Institutions
Summary – links to useful resources.
Here is a summary of other links found throughout this website.
- Onshore petroleum exploration in Newfoundland & Labrador
- Oil spill prevention and response in the Canadian oil & gas industry
- Environmental research and sustainability initiatives in Canada’s oil & gas industry
- NOIA member companies (supply and service sector)
- The Canadian oil and gas industry province by province
- Health, Environment, Safety and Quality (HESQ)
- Onshore/Offshore Welder, D.F. Barnes Limited
- Subsea Completions Engineer, Husky Energy
- Geophysicist, C-NLOPB
- Communications Advisor, Suncor
- Electrical Technician, Husky Energy